Obaseki Orders Re-Accreditation Of Vigilantes After Kidnappers Attack Police Checkpoint

Sharing is caring

The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has ordered the reaccreditation of all operatives of the State’s Security Vigilante Network, numbering over 6,500, in a renewed effort to strengthen the state’s security architecture to combat crime and ensure the security of lives and property of residents.

Obaseki gave the order on Monday during a security briefing at the Solomon Arase Command and Control Centre in Benin City, the Edo State capital, in the company of all security chiefs in the State.

Reassuring the government’s commitment to the security of lives and property of the Edo people, Obaseki said his government will continue to collaborate with security agencies to combat crime and criminality in the State.

He said, “We are having this security briefing this morning to let the public know the measures that security agencies and Edo State Government are doing to secure lives and properties in Edo State.

“We all are aware of the security challenges in the State this weekend, particularly in Edo North, where in the guise of burial some citizens resulted to arson and assault on security agencies in Oja Village.

“The government can’t fold its hands and allow a breakdown of law and order in the State as appropriate actions will be taken and we have resolved to deal with what happened last Saturday.

“We will not accept a situation where citizens attack members of the security agencies, it’s not acceptable. As a government, we will deal with those involved in the incident.”

On reaccreditation of the vigilante in the State, Obaseki said, “We heard some kidnappers took over a checkpoint and attacked some policemen on patrol, but none lost their lives in the incident and this has prompted the government to commence a total revamp of the vigilante structure.

“Commencing today, only the vigilante personnel trained in the Nigerian Police Training School under the arrangement with the Edo State Government will be allowed to serve in Edo State.

All vigilante groups and persons trained so far, about 6,500 men, are required to report to the Police Staff College where they received training for accreditation. The commander will be issuing instructions on the specific dates for reaccreditation.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *