Otti Begins Resuscitation Of Abandoned Aba Water Scheme

Sharing is caring

…As Abia Integrated WASH Accelerated Programme Takes Shape.

Abia State, Dr Alex Otti on Wednesday, July 16, flagged off the first phase of the resuscitation of the age long abandoned Aba Water Scheme.

EkweAnaedo, reports that for about three decades, the Aba Water Scheme have been in ruins, following neglect and abandonment by successive after Abia was carved out from the Old Imo State.

Speaking at the Saint Joseph College, Aba the flag off venue Otti said that the project will improve the metropolitan outlook of Aba.

He added that no 21st century city can exist without a reliable piped borne water system, one that supplies treated water to homes and offices to support multiple human activities.

Otti said that the Wednesday flag off was only the first phase of the project and in time, the government shall also flag off the Aba Water Intake and Ariara Water Schemes.

He said that the Booster Station at Ogbor Hill shall also come on stream to guarantee the availability of safe water for every resident of Aba.

The Governor vowed that he will ensure water supply for all residents no matter their economic or social status because the right to quality water at zero to minimal cost should never be negotiated.

Otti went on to add that the resuscitation of the existing water schemes and the addition of new ones across the State are the integral components of the Abia Integrated WASH Accelerated Programme (AIWAP).

He added that AIWAP is an initiative that had been set up by the State Government to increase access to safe drinking water in every clan and for every family in the State.

The governor said that the vision is to build a community where there is a public water standpost within a 2-3 minute walking distance from every home.

He said that AIWAP, beyond water supply, is a healthcare and human support initiative that will ultimately improve the health of Abia communities, support the economy through improved productivity and give new impetus to government’s efforts to create mass prosperity.

Otti added that AIWAP seeks to cut down the amount of time thousands of individuals, especially children and mothers, commit to sourcing water from private boreholes or remote streams.

He said that in addition to guaranteeing steady and sufficient water supply, AIWAP will also address the challenge of open defecation and the environmental menace it poses.

“Before coming here, I commissioned the model Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facility we built at Okigwe Motor Park in Umuahia.

“Supported by renewable energy infrastructure, the facility has a standard borehole, water storage and functional reticulation structures.

“It also has modern toilet facilities and water stand post for drivers, commuters and all who function within the radius of that location.

“Similar structures are at various stages of completion at different public spaces, including markets and busy urban business hubs across the State.

“These facilities are set up to create a new consciousness amongst our people when we want to answer the call of nature in public spaces.”

Otti said that the Abia Integrated WASH Accelerated Programme is more than just water and hygiene, as it is about supporting life everywhere.

“This project is very dear to my heart for a number of reasons. One, it brings the city closer to our dream of the new Aba where critical human-support infrastructure is robust.

“AIWAP would cut down environmental challenges coming from the mass consumption of sachet water in homes and offices.

“Less sachets of water automatically translate to cleaner environment, healthier population and improved household savings.

‘More fundamentally, I am very particular about this project flag off because it points to our capacity to overcome multiple layers of challenges and achieve the outcomes that we seek.”

Governor Otti said that the flag off would have happened several months ago in line with an understanding government reached with an international non-governmental organisation and its local partners.

He said that the effort made was hamstrung by sudden dramatic changes in the policy direction of a powerful foreign government towards international development assistance.

Otti explained that such was done without any consideration for pre-existing agreements.

“The sad development earlier in January threw spanner into our works and threatened to derail months of planning and anticipation.

“We were disappointed but again, we went back to the drawing board to seek new ways of financing our dream projects.

“It was not an easy undertaking but we were resolute in the resolve to restore public water supply to Aba, Umuahia and across the 57 rural water schemes in the State.

“I am glad that we soldiered on. Today is yet another proof that we are prepared to walk through bricks to deliver on the promises that brought us here.”

.